Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Journal #3: Reflective Journal: Response to my learning


Ever since I was in elementary school, I have always been interested in film-making and video editing. I have always wondered about how established film-making companies were able to capture dramatic action scenes and scenes with nature and wildlife. I always used the term “magic” to explain my confusions. With this, I began creating my own videos, using my cellphone. I didn’t have a program or a camera, so I used whatever was available. I became serious about film-making when I was in middle school. I registered media as my elective and ever since I became a finalist in the Olelo Youth Exchange Awards, I decided that I should expand my own learning and so I did. Beginning freshman year, I became a member of the Mene Mac Learning Center. My goal was to be exemplary and to go beyond what I already knew and what I was able to do. I focused on story-telling, cinematography, and video editing while using animations and techniques such as green screen. I wanted to be different and I wanted others to notice my work and what I was able to do. I always wanted to tell a story through my videos. I don’t want it just to be a compilation of random things and happy objects. I wanted to grasp the audience. When my music video, What Hurts the Most, was released through YouTube and posted on blogging sites, my group and I received positive responses. I didn’t actually think anyone would respond, but majority of their comments said that the music video made them cry. They were able to relate the story to their own personal experiences. When I read about their responses, that was when I realized I wanted to do more. Beginning sophomore year, I decided I wanted to travel a more narrow path. I desired uniqueness and rarity and I didn’t want to have the cliche and the common things in my video. So, in every project I was assigned, I tried to mold it so that I could capture something different compared to what has been done before. At times I find myself creating my own projects as a single person. Now, there are people, like my friends, relatives and acquaintances who want to collaborate with me and this has given me the motivation to continue and expand in film-making. Project Icarus has pushed me to achieve a certain stretch - the ability to influence a targeted audience through narrative and story telling. I was able to do this through my very first short film about teenagers and the importance of the awareness of moral values. I would not have been able to do this without training in school. I would not have been able to master my skills and develop my abilities in film-making if school was inexistent. It has trained me to push further and to continue progressing and improving. School has also introduced me to many different aspects of digital media. It has also taught me the importance of time management and the required content in certain types of media. With the help of my teachers, I was able to approach and get in contact experts and those who are experienced in film-making, such as the chair person of the Academy of Creative Media. These experiences have shaped me into a person with a better outlook of the future and has helped me refine my skills and abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment