Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Journal #4: Process Paper: How I shaped and produced the "impact activity"


Targeting a certain group of society and focusing them as the film’s audience was a challenge on my part. It was the basis of my short film. The goal was to influence them in making a difference in the world around them and taking action to make a change. To do that, I had to create a short film that is able to convey a message and is able to achieve a response from the targeted audience. As usual, I wanted to go beyond the issues of poverty, violence, drugs, and the like. At first, I wanted to bring awareness about those who are blind and the gift that the blind are given although they don’t have the ability to see, but to hear and touch. I wanted to grasp the importance of hearing and the feeling of touch. However, this was very unsuccessful because I was so pressed on time and I didn’t have the resources to help me capture the film the way I imagined it. So, I refined it into a story about those who are suffering from a type of dementia. I then added the belief of the “power of love” and how it can conquer. However, I realized that this was a much more difficult project because I needed the help from multiple beings, but unfortunately, those around me were busy developing their own projects and the professionals I contacted were unavailable. So, I had to reinvent my screenplay and script into a simple story that didn’t require much resources, but is still able to receive a response from the audience, showing that my message was understood through my short film. So, I wandered around for a few days and carefully observed those around me. I also looked into my own personal experiences and the many trials and tribulations I go through in my life. After a few days of intense pondering and with the help from my peers, I was able to develop a story about the relationship between a mother and her child. Due to the limited amount of time, characters, and resources I had, the screenplay was simplified during filming. I had only one day to film and within that one day, I worked hard in using my skills in digital media to capture the message the way I pictured it - details, foreshadow, and so on. Unfortunately, one of the scenes in my screenplay was skipped because I was short on characters, so I used my skills in video editing to manipulate that scene just a little bit. This was a challenge and a stretch for me because it taught me the importance of alternative plans when a certain task cannot be completed or when a previous plan/idea has failed. In the process, I also added a certain twist to the story, an array of hope. The end result, although it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, still had an effect on the audience. My short film was molded into a narrative piece about the importance of practicing moral values, especially to those who deserve the respect. It eventually turned into a story about a disobedient teenager who learns the importance of changing her former ways (bad attitude). With this, I was able to receive a response from my teacher and from my friend, showing that my video did have a certain effect/impact on them. Through Project Icarus, I have learned the importance of targeting the audience and the importance of successfully capturing the story through digital media. From here, I will continue to stay in contact with the Academy of Creative Media and the individuals I tried to get in touch with. With their help, I will be able to improve my skills and develop as a learner and thus, gain a more valuable learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment